Thursday, November 17, 2011

Filling You All In...


I’m back!! Boy have I missed you all and this little corner of blogland of mine. A month on after having Sophie, I finally feel like things are a bit more manageable and I’m getting back into the swing of things. I started this blog just over two years ago when Grace was a baby and I found myself craving some ‘me’ time. Once again, as much as I’m enjoying simple days at home with my girls, I’m missing the online community I’ve become a part of and so the time feels right to start posting again. I may not be able to write as often as I’d like but I am eager to share so much with you all, to slowly catch up on everyone’s latest news and to be inspired as always by all of your lovely blogs (stay tuned for a little giveaway I have planned too). So here’s a little update on what’s been happening in the Homely One household …



Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your comments and good wishes on Sophie’s arrival. They truly warmed my heart. Sophie’s birth went really well. After being induced, I was in labour for six hours and I wouldn’t change a thing about the experience. Our hospital stay was great and I enjoyed the early days of getting to know our precious little baby girl. We had a few people drop by on the Sunday to meet Sophie, but I soon declined requests to visit as I was exhausted and preferred to spend the days with just Paul and Grace. We stuck to a little routine during my hospital stay which I think helped Grace cope as well as she did being away from me. We did have occasional tears though and Grace’s plea of ‘please you come home Mummy, pleeeease!’ broke my heart one afternoon. However, by the last day, she was so excited to be heading to ‘Nan’s house’ for tea that I didn’t even get a kiss goodbye.

When I returned home, I found the initial few days very overwhelming. The baby blues definitely kicked in and together with the sleep deprivation, I found myself constantly teary. Thank goodness I had Paul home and my Mum had taken a few weeks off work to help us out. I became a bit of a hermit as I didn’t feel up to visitors at all and found just getting through each day extremely tiring. Sophie was also quite unsettled as I had an oversupply of milk. The fast flow was causing her to get tummy pains and the frequent feeding just seemed to be adding to the problem (if anyone has any advice in regards to this breastfeeding issue please let me know!!)

Slowly, as the days went on and I caught up on sleep, things became more manageable and I felt better able to cope. These days, Sophie is feeding every three or four hours and I’m managing to get around six hours of sleep (broken up by feeds) each night. However, I try and time things so the two girls are both napping after lunch and I attempt to and catch up on sleep here myself. I find it so hard keeping my eyes open in the middle of the night as I sit propped up in bed breastfeeding, but I do treasure these quiet times alone with my bub.



Grace is rather smitten by our newest family member and wearing her ‘big sister’ badge with pride. She is eager to help with baths and nappy changes and yesterday I caught her trying to console Sophie by patting her lovingly and saying, “Don’t worry, I’m here.”



Gradually, I’m finding little strategies that help make my days with two little ones more manageable and I’m feeling more confident in my new role as a Mummy to two. And while I’m cherishing these precious newborn days as we don’t plan on having any more children, I’m definitely looking forward to having a bit more routine to our days, for breastfeeding to become a more peaceful experience once my milk settles down and for the night when I wake up after a block of solid sleep. In the meantime, I’m soaking up every little precious moment with our little bub Sophie…

37 comments:

  1. awwwww, how exciting Amanda, absolutely beautiful!
    you definitely have your hands full.
    hope you take it all in & enjoy that gorgeous little newborn smell.
    you are making me clucky!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Amanda, It is lovely to hear how you are getting on. I have been wondering. It is a hectic time those early weeks. I am so glad to hear you restricted visitors, it is such a sensible thing to do. I used to put a sign up at the front door in the afternoon asking people to call back later. In the country people often pop in unannounced and a sign just meant I could hop into bed and have a snooze when the children were asleep. The pictures of your darling girls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathie - nothing like that newborn smell!! :)

    Deb - unexpected visitors were what annoyed me in hospital. Why don't people call first?! Of course I appreciated family and friends wanting to visit but being utterly exhausted made trying to hold a conversation difficult :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pics Amanda, the girls look beautiful together :) Those first few weeks are such a fog, just trying to get a routine together. I agree, sometimes it is nicer to just have family around instead of a load of visitors. It is one of my pet hates, the unannounced visitor! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Amanda, she is exquisite. So glad to hear you are the surviving the sleep deprivation... just. I will never forget it.... and it's been 10 years since my last one. Hope things settle down for you soon. It goes so fast, despite the exhaustion and tears. Before you know it, you're at Speech Night!!! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photos all make my heart melt and Gracie comforting Sophie is just too cute for words!!! So glad things are settling down a bit more now. And as you know I'm taking notes for when my time comes next yr!!! Here's to 6hrs+ sleep tonight for you!!! Big hugs, Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sleep deprivation sure takes its toll doesn't it Amanda, and things are such a blur. But it sounds like you're doing the right thing by not overdoing things, and trying to get a little space just for you and yours. Those wee girls look so sweet together. So pleased all is going well. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous Amanda - so pleased to hear and see that you are settling in with your 2 little darlings - Sophie is just beautiful and of course Big Sister is a delight.

    Bye for now,
    Christine (and my Sophie) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sweety...she is just so beautiful and has such a delightful cheery face like Grace. I feel for you with the whole sleep deprivation...Im seriously dreading that..although I have been going through it now with Jacq waking up throughout the night..Pete and I worked it out that it has been at least almost a year since we experienced a night of straight tranquil sleep... Im sure like you I will have many a teary moment...heck..Im having them now..lol. Im so glad that you are slowly finding your groove...and you are finding the positives amongst the negatives which is so important.
    Sending lots of hugs your way...and soft kisses to your two little girls..xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy this precious time Amanda, exhausted as you may be... It goes way too quickly. Beautiful pictures of the girls by the way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first months with a new babe are exhausting but so precious and are gone in a moment. Enjoy getting to know your little girl more Amanda, she is just beautiful :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful photos. It's lovely to see Grace enjoying being a big sister. Moments like the one in the last picture must make all the hard work so worthwhile. Take care x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely to hear from you (and share the pictures of your gorgeous girls.) I've been wondering how you have been getting on but remember only too well just how crazy that first month at home with a new baby is. Just give yourself time to settle into a routine - you will get there. Best wishes - ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad things are settling a little. I remember fondly the breast feeding but not the baby blues or exhaustion. They are very trying. But enjoying the precious moments and Graces cute comments certainly make it a wonderful time in life. heres to hoping for more sleep for both of you. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh they are both so beautiful! I have 2 sisters and I love them so much and I am sure Grace and Sophie are going to be so close growing up. Enjoy your time with your babies.
    Rachie xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so good to hear from you Amanda! So pleased the birth went well and little Grace is welcoming her little sister with open arms. They loook so adorable together. Such a special time for you and your little family I hope you cherish and enjoy it and keep sneaking in those naps sound like just what you need. Also maybe a trip to the beautician for some pampering while hubby watches the girls might make you feel good too x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a heart-warming post, Amanda - it's wonderful to have you back! But please blog at your own pace and don't feel there are any expectations of you - your health is paramount now. Trust me ☺. Such precious snaps. I am so happy for you, my friend. J x

    ReplyDelete
  18. ohhhhhhh so adorable ya for your little treasures lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. She is beautiful. One by one your days will find their rhythm... enjoy your weekend. gxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, beautiful beautiful girls! I love the mum-style reassurances from Grace. Has it been a month, Amanda? That time has really flown! I simply love this post xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Big Congratulations to you and your family Amanda. She is gorgeous - and I love her name. I missed the news and have just popped in briefly to catch up - so glad I did! Grace sounds like a lovely sister to have. Enjoy the time, but take care of you. Best wishes and warm hugs.
    Rebecca xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Enjoy your sweet little ones. They are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great to hear from you Amanda and so nice to see things settling down. How lovely that Grace is enjoying being a big sister. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have two beautiful girls. I am happy to hear you are well and feeling good. I remember the blues and not wanting to see anyone. But each week gets better when you can get more sleep. Take care Mimi xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh Amanda, Sophie is just divine, what a beautiful baby!! And looking into her sparkling little eyes she looks so wise, like she has been here before, don't you think? What a sweetheart. So glad you re going so well.
    Jane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Doesn't Grace seem like an "instant" big girl now? They look so lovely together.If you can, try feeding from only one side at a time,I was told by a nurse,the starting milk (colostrum?)is richer and babies get a double dose which can be hard on a developing stomach.Try expressing only enough from the other side to be comfortable until the supply settles in.Might help.I found it so uncomfortable when the milk came in,it was the worst part.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So nice to read your post, Amanda. Sophie is a beautiful baby, and Grace is so sweet with her comforting words! I'm sure you'll fall into a nice routine soon enough. All the best to you,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  28. 'Don't worry, I'm here'?! Is that the cutest thing EVER? I think yes. Congrats again Amanda. Love the update, you're doing amazingly!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amanda these photos of your two beautiful girls are so sweet and precious. It's lovely to see how much Grace loves and adores Sophie I can see them having a wonderful bond as sisters. She looks so grown up now too. Thank you for sharing these moments with us. Enjoy this special time together, we will be here when ever you have the time and energy to blog. Take care my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Amanda!! Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful moments! Your sweet Grace is the best big sister ever, and your beautiful Miss Sophie is divine! I am so happy for you and your gorgeous family!! You are such a wonderful mama, I hope you are taking care of YOU:) Hugs to you sweet girl (just wish they could be in person!!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glad to see you back. Sophie is adorable and I love her name.

    That first photo of your two girls is just beautiful. What a lovely moment you capture there.

    Grace sounds like a very loving big sister. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely update. You've got two beautiful girls - the time will fly and they will be grown up before you know it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful photo's Amanda, you must be so happy, lovely to just make the most of this time : )

    oh I sent you a little package a few weeks ago I hope it arrived, not sure I sent it to the correct address.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awww what a sweet post and lovely girls! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Amanda, I love this post! Sorry I haven't had much of a chance to comment lately :) But tonight...both kids are in bed by 7pm & the house was clean so I finally got a chance to sit on the couch with my laptop & blog read :))))
    Sophie is adorable & I love that Grace is already such a great big sister! Glad to hear you are getting some more sleep now & I hope Sophie's tummy/wind pains / reflux settles SOON!!!
    Ryder is 5 weeks old now :) He's soooo big {5.8kg already} so I feel like he almost missed the whole 'newborn stage' :( But I too am trying to take it ALL IN & enjoy it as much as possible {as we also probably won't have anymore kids}. I too had the baby blues & sheer exhaustion the first week, but thankfully that settled & I'm back to my happy self....just tired a lot though. Ryder is sleeping better....for the first 2 weeks I got NO sleep :( But now he's only feeding 2 or 3 times a night so I'm getting similar sleep to you {about 6 hrs broken} every night! I love that I can share this journey with you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your girls are just adorable Amanda! Such a lovely post.

    Bek xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. I completely relate to sleep deprivation and those three hourly feeds. You're bringing all the memories flooding back. I also relate to missing the blog community. It's actually a godsend for Mother's I think. Grace and Sophie are so lucky to have each other as sisters. I always wanted one - as there seems such a nice bond between sisters. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!