Friday, December 9, 2011

My Current 'Lifesavers'


Over the past few weeks, there have been lots of things that have helped life at home with a newborn. I thought I’d share some of my ‘lifesavers’ with you…

Brownie mix – I love baking but life at the moment makes it extremely hard to do so as often as I’d like. It’s hard enough preparing tea let alone baking a batch of biscuits (I haven’t made any since the Nutella ones). I do like something sweet out of the oven though so my saviour has been a packet mix I was put onto by a cousin – Betty Crocker’s Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix. All you do is add two eggs, water and oil, stir it with a wooden spoon and bake it for just under half an hour. They are delicious, so moist and just as good as my usual brownie recipe. I keep one in the pantry on ‘stand-by’.

Laptop – buying our laptop back in September was one of the best things we’ve ever done. Having the flexibility of using the computer anywhere has been really handy, especially the other day when I was making a salad and needed to check on some ingredients of an online recipe.

Bag insert – earlier in the year, I won a nappy bag giveaway on Bloesem Kids and knew it would be perfect come October. Along with the bag that arrived was an insert with dividers and pockets which you can take out of the nappy bag and put into a normal bag. It means I don’t have to lug around nappies and wipes and things if I just need to pop to the shops by myself and don’t forget any essential items I do need.



Good toys – One of the toughest things about having a newborn AND a young toddler is trying to keep the older one occupied when breastfeeding or changing nappies. Having new or interesting activities is a must. Grace has all of a sudden taken a great liking to play dough and will sit for at least an hour at her little table making all sorts of creations. Another winning toy has been a floor puzzle. Grace spreads all the pieces out on the rug and puts it together as I breastfeed Sophie on the lounge and help from the side lines by giving her instructions.


What is your current 'lifesaver' making things that little bit easier for you at the moment?

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! It's so nice when Mums can share their tips for making life a bit easier! I've got to admit that I've used the Betty Crocker brownies too - my husband loves them.
    Jacki
    More Than a Mummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that puzzle. Would you mind sharing the brand, as my niece would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that brownie mix is definitely a life saver in more ways than one! I can imagine time is short when you have little ones. Glad it's all going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. April- It says 'tinkers' on the box and 'Giant Alphabet Floor Puzzle'. I think I saw 'tinkers' products in Big W the other day from memory. It's a great puzzle, would be a perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amanda, well, i am not sure... I did get my son a christmas book version of Wheres wally... He loved those books and this one was only around ten dollars and has so many pages in the giant pad... - it is a big help when he does the old 'I`m bored' thing! My boys always love to draw when there is nothing else to do!
    hope you are coping okay; sounds like you are doing just fine! Hope the feeding is improving!
    laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's all all about the sidelines isn't it!! I'm also finding the feeding/closely circling three year old challenging. I love the puzzle Grace has here, lots of pieces too :) The Wiinnie-the-Pooh audiobook has been a winner, snacks at Lilys red table but only if I've time to move it to the living room, magnetic sticker book by Tiger Tribe and stories alongside me on the longe help ( most of the time). Lovely post, thanks for the advice Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE!!!
    My list of 'lifesavers' is similar to yours at the moment...as we're both in the same situation :)
    But I'm also LOVING; Coles online delivered groceries, pre-made Caeser Salads, and simple art n craft activities that keep Ella happy & busy!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use a brownie mix quiet often. They taste great and are quick and easy. Also, a laptop is the best thing. We purchased a MacBook Pro in October and love the flexibility of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claire- your comment made me laugh as I'm sitting here organising my online Coles order and we've been having pre-made Caesar salads lots lately too as they're so convenient at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's important to make life easier with two little ones to take care of. My laptop has been very handy for me too and I often use it in the kitchen instead of printing up the recipe. And my most favourite lifesavers are my girls, with some prompting, will help me out to get jobs done around the house. Miss 12 last week went into the kitchen without help and baked a chocolate slice for all of us to eat, it was such a big help. Next year she'll be doing home ec. maybe she'll bring home dinner for us:) I hope you have had a wonderful weekend and things are going well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always sound so wonderfully organised Amanda, even with little things like packet brownie mixes, which sound pretty darn good to me right now! I would love some lifesavers right now, as in I would love someone to come and miraculously clean my house, I just don't seem to be spending anywhere near enough time at home to get everything done! Hope you are doing well xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That brownie mix has been a staple in my cupboard for years. It's a great last minute mix for work morning teas etc and everyone LOVES it. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those brownies are great - I use them when friends are going to drop round for afternoon tea! It sounds like you're going really well. You're such a wonderful example of good organisation. Have a lovely weekend..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!