Monday, July 21, 2014

Living With Loss... Five Years On



Every year, this date rolls around and I find myself thinking back to five years ago, to that morning full of heartbreak and saddness when I found out my Dad had passed away. I also use today to think back on all the happy memories, the fun times and the joy that my Dad brought to our lives.  I flick through photos, go through keepsakes and read over condolence cards with their precious words about the kind-hearted, caring man my Dad was.

One of the cards contains a few lines that always stick with me, a card from one of my best friends, with a quote by Morrie Schwartz written inside, taken from a book I had loaned to her, 'Tuesdays With Morrie'...


"As long as we can love each other, and remember the feeling of love we had, we can die without ever really going away.  All the love you created is still there.  All the memories are still there.  You live on in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here."


It is a quote that comes to me often, whenever I find myself missing my Dad or worrying about how I am able to keep his memory alive (not only for my sake, but for my girls).

Today, I will sit here sipping my tea and enjoying Dutch Specular biscuits (Dad's favourites), remembering all the uncountable times Dad called in for a cuppa and a chat on his way home from work, just to check on me and to catch up on our latest news.  I will buy a bunch of red carnations, remembering Dad visiting me in hospital when Grace was born and bringing the same flowers to me... an unhealthy not-so-well-selected bunch that couldn't have looked more beautiful in my eyes because Dad chose them himself and they were given with armfuls of love. I will wear the necklace he brought back from Queensland for me, remembering the thoughtfulness he always showed, buying more for others than himself whenever he went on holidays...

I will hug my girls that little bit tighter and make sure they know just how much I love them, just as I did whenever my Dad gave me one of his big comforting hugs, remembering that life is precious and that my loved ones are my world...


8 comments:

  1. Certainly thinking of you. What wonderful memories you have of your Father. Glad you are able to spend a special day revisiting them. Indeed...hug those precious ones close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you and hoping that his memory brought you many smiles. tomorrow marks 8 years since my dad passed away so I'm in a similar mind set to you right now I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you, amanda. what a lovely post and such a beautiful way to remember your dad. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post for your pa. It is so important to talk about the people you love - living or not xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautifully expressed Amanda. You brought tears to my eyes, especially since I lost my precious Dad only 7 months ago. I want to keep his love alive too. Sending you a hug at this time for your family. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is so precious ....and unfortunately it takes heart break and loss for us to appreciate and remember that {well...I know for me it does!}.
    Your Dad sounds like a wonderful Man and I know he'd be full of pride and love to know that he brought YOU into the world and to see the amazing life you now provide for your two girls!
    Much love Amanda xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you have so many wonderful memories of your dad, both physical and mental, to help you through a tough day. Thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!