Monday, January 18, 2010

Weekend Heatwave

Hope you have all had lovely, productive (and relaxing) weekends. Here we did our best to stay cool in the 40 degree heat and therefore aside from a few splashes in Grace's paddle pool, spent most of our time under the airconditioning doing 'inside tasks'. I managed to make a start on some cushion covers that have been on my 'to-do list' for some time now and made a Raspberry and Coconut Loaf cake to enjoy whilst sewing. I also gave a coat of paint to a cheap Ikea tray I had bought, although I discovered that weather as hot as we were experiencing was not the best for this task as the paint was drying faster than I could brush it on!

However, this weekend's biggest project I accomplished whilst watching a movie with Paul on Saturday night. I have a huge pile of recipes that I have either torn from magazines or that have been written out for me by friends and whenever I hunt through this pile, it is an almost impossible task. So, during ad breaks, I sorted all these recipes into folders such as 'Cakes', 'Meat', 'Salad' and so on to make it easier the next time I am searching for something. What did you all get up to on the weekend? Was it as hot where you were as it was here?

11 comments:

  1. Wow Amanda - it sounds like you had a really productive weekend, good on you!! Ooh that Raspberry & Coconut loaf sounds so yum - thanks for the link! Hope it has cooled down for you since the weekend!! I have to do the same thing with all of my 'torn out' recipes - good on you for getting yours organised, I am so inspired to do it as soon as we get home :) -Tx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome husband you have Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute pic...Jacq has the same clam shell pool...it is either filled with his coloured balls...sand..or water..and he loves it.
    Sounds like you had a very productive weekends...feels great doesnt it when you get all organised. Our weekend was much the same...we also had some friends over for dinner and my husband cooked a fantastic dinner...lol..yes..he cooked...he rather fancies himself as a bit of a Jamie Oliver...and he is pretty close to it...just has the knack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the Raspberry and Coconut Loaf Amanda. It looks delicious and easy! Will give it a go this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to a Christmas party (!!) and then to the country to visit DH's pop. It was freezing and pouring rain - had the fire going and it was quite nice and relaxing inside.

    I need to sort out my recipe books. One day I will get there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I heard it was hot over your way! My INBFN (instant new best friend neighbour), who deserted me and moved back to Perth, is suffering along with you. We hit 38 today which is our hottest so far I think. Love the photo of the wading pool.... brings back memories! You sound like you had a productive weekend... ours was very dirty... laying turf and lugging soil, potting plants and painting decks...blah!!!! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How strange the weather is! Here in the Highlands it was 16c today and snowing in Thredbo. Hope you get a break from the heat so you can finish your painting. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was stinking hot. YUCK!!

    People laugh as i put the air conditioner on a timer for our dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A-M - you poor things!! 38 and doing all that physical work outdoors!! Leigh - seems so strange that it's boiling hot here and cool where you are :) Kellie - your gorgeous dogs are so well looked after. I feel sorry for animals in heat like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'n not a fan of temperatures above 28!
    I was given a folder to do exactly the same with all my torn out recipes - must do it.
    You asked about my jam recipe - I just found it on the internet.. equal parts sugar and raspberries, boil the berries for a few minutes, add in sugar and boil until a drop of the mixture wrinkles when you put it on a chilled saucer and touch it after a few seconds. Very easy but I have no idea how I made such as mess! Apparently other fruits need added pectin to help it set but raspberries have it in them.
    Hope you are feeling cooler now - is chilly here in Tas today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The heat was unbearable here yesterday. Hope this heatwave ends soon. Looks like your little one knows how to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!