Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Curio Box Transformation


Today I thought I’d share with you a little project I finally completed last week. Back in September using the image at the bottom of this post for inspiration, I bought a little curio display shelf off Etsy as I had been unable to find a similar one in second hand shops. You can see the 'before' version here.

After very carefully removing the remaining glued down miniatures (no easy task due to the strong glue that had been used to adhere them), I gave the whole piece a good scrub with sandpaper. Paul then gave it several coats of spray paint for me. However, the paint didn’t adhere that well to the textured surface of some parts and I ended up using a paint brush to coat the inside walls of each compartment before giving it all one final coat of spray paint. Finally, I cut cute scrapbooking paper to fit the inside of some of the boxes.

I’m really pleased with the end result and now it’s waiting to be hung in Grace’s room. She’s already added a few treasures like shells and leaves and gemstones to it. I also gave her my two precious little owls. Having sentimental value I was always reluctant to let her play with them (especially after she broke one in two pieces when she dropped it on the floorboards and it had to be put back together with Supaglue). However, I recently decided that they would be perfect additions to her ’treasure shelf.’ The smile on her face when I said she could have them was worth more than their sentimental value in the end.

19 comments:

  1. It has turned out so well Amanda, Grace is a very lucky little girl to have such a pretty place to display her treasures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda it is so pretty. I imagine Grace will have lots of fun filling it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a really beautiful job. I especially love all the scrapbook colours against the white and the little treasures :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing transformation Amanda..it will be perfect for holding all the little treasures and trinkets that Grace finds :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda! I see your still up to all the gorgeous crafty, homely things I would expect lol even with two little ones to look after! COngratulations by the way! I will have to skip back a few posts to find all the birthy details xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. I'm so impressed with how much you are achieving with a newborn! Read your multitasking post and had a giggle.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very pretty Amanda. Great job. It will look lovely in Grace's room and she will love having a treasure box.

    I'm looking for something for my boys to display and store their treasures in their bedrooms - my 4 year old currently uses a shelf on on our bookcase (out of reach of his little brother!) for his 'treasures'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely gorgeous Amanda. Something for your little Grace to treasure her whole life - so special. ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks lovely Amanda, perfect for Grace's room. And how sweet that she has her own place to display her treasures x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so cute! Grace will have it full in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic!!!!!! I love it and oh how my little girls would love one of these for their room aswell! What a clever Mum you are. Lucky little girls...
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful I'm sure Grace will treasure it for many years to come. And it matches her rug :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I really like that, and I especially love all the different pale blue and pink colours and designs. Really gorgeous. I shall definitely be on the look-out for something like this when I go garage-saleing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job! I love it! My neighbour down the road has a curio box I love looking at but would never have thought to put the scrapbooking paper in there - it will look SO good in Gracie's room, it will be her treasure holder!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks fantastic Amanda. It will look perfect in Grace's room and I'm sure will be filled with lots more treasures, so cute:) I think I saw one of these in an antique shop, I'm sure my little miss would happily fill it with treasures too she's a treasure girl as well:) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Amanda. You are feathering your nest so beautifully. I am most impressed. Well done! J x

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks great Amanda, I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks beautiful Amanda.
    Very clever lady!

    Bek xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!