Friday, January 13, 2012

Sophie's Smiles = One Happy Mama


Time for a Sophie update as so many of you left well wishes, messages of encouragement and were eager to hear how things developed following our stay in hospital a few weeks back. Today she is three months old and we have been seeing a big improvement lately.

After ruling out reflux when her reflux medication made the situation worse, we determined that Sophie's unsettledness was due to a few reasons. Basically a lactose overload caused by my huge milk supply, a fast let down and Sophie's super strong sucking action were giving her an overfull, uncomfortable belly leading to very bad colic. Since our hospital stay, Sophie has been on shorter feeds and has gradually become a much happier baby. I don't know whether it's due to her new feeding regime, the natural colic medicine we've been trying, a few dietary changes I've made or the simple fact that Sophie is getting older but something is helping and I all I know is that it's pure bliss having a smily, more content baby now.

Over the past few tougher months, I've learnt a few things about colic and unsettled babies...



- It's not your fault. Even fantastic mothers can have unsettled babies.

- Try anything and everything. Whether it's one of the many over the counter natural remedies, an old wive's tale, a piece of advice from another mother or a tip you find as you trawl the Internet desperately trying to find a solution... try it. You never know, one may work and if not, you'll feel better trying to do something since there's no 'cure' as such for colic.

- When things start getting tough, overwhelming or stressful, ask for help. I found this hard as I felt like perhaps it was just me thinking that Sophie was so unsettled. Others would often only see her in her 'good moments'.

- You will find yourself unable to relax easily. When your baby is sleeping or quiet, you will be 'on edge' waiting for those cries.

- People will tell you to 'hang in there' or that everything will ease off around the 12 week mark but while you are dealing with an unsettled baby, this may seem hard to believe.

- Eventually, things will get easier and when your happier, smily baby grins at you with love, you too will smile because life is good.


24 comments:

  1. Great to hear that things are getting better! I just love that last pic of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie sure is a beauty! That last photo is precious. I'm so glad to read that she is happier, you are happier and things are looking brighter.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just so stinkin' cute! Glad she feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear Sophie is feeling better, therefore you are feeling better too. Very cute pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww she is just adorable!!! Happy New year to you and your
    gorgeous family xx

    P.s i'm back & blogging early pop over and visit my January - a photo a day challenge:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad things are getting easier for you. Look at that gorgeous smile - I think things at least seem easier when they can interact more and smile and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet, sweet girl. Glad things are settling down a little for you as well as her
    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is absolutely beautiful. It's so good to hear that you are doing much better too. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is absolutely gorgeous! And looks very healthy too, your milk just be liquid gold!

    I'm glad to hear you are over that hump and that things are going well now.

    You are right though, you almost "wait" for those cries when the baby is sleeping. I hope you get some rest when she rests. Edward is 10 months old now, but even today, I had a sleep when he did.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Amanda, Sophie is so very very sweet and her smiles is delightful she makes me smile just looking at her. What a little cutie. I'm so glad that things have improved so much and that you have a happy little girl on your hands now. I bet you feel better too, now you can hopefully relax a enjoy your two gorgeous girls. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news! Our first little one was very unsettled too, and just wasn't happy until the day he turned 12 weeks. I have heard time and time again that 12 weeks/3 months is something of a turning point for a lot of babies. With another one due in a couple of weeks I am trying to tell myself "don't panic, if you can just get through the first 3 months..."! All the best and looks like you're in for a lot more smiles now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet greedy guts, so thrilled she's happier now too. I was so blessed with 4 settled babies, the only differences were how quickly they fed, they're all different. I know i was SO lucky.
    Enjoy that beautiful smile of hers, she looks mighty happy, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  13. So relived to hear that things have settled. What a smile! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Amanda, this makes me smile, especially that last heart-melting photo of Sophie! What a relief. I remember. We went through it with both boys and it was dreadful. Sending you a huge ♥ J x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sophie has such a precious smile. My daughter was also a very colicky baby until her pedetrician changed her over to Enfamil Nutramigen formula at three months old. She was like a different baby with the first feeding. Glad to hear things are getting easier for you and Sophie. Thanks for your sweet comments over on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy to hear that everything is settling at home with Sophie. She certainly is one healthy, bonny babe.

    PS Loved a photo of your two girls in a previous blog. How precious xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sophie is such a gorgeous baby, you are making me feel broody and since hubby has had a vasectomy that could be difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  18. She looks very happy - good work Mum and Mum's support network!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a smile! so glad she is a happier bub. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Smiles from little people are so beautiful and heart warming. I'm glad to hear things are going better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amanda, I am so happy that things are settling down. You are a fantastic mumma. Look at that smile from little Sophie. A full, beaming, baby smile is so contagious... I'm smiling at my laptop :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear things have improved - don't know how you do it coping with this super stressful issue and with another child to look after!
    Thanks for all your lovely comments, will be stopping in here frequently! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Amanda, I'm sooooo happy to hear that Miss Sophie is settling! Babies are HARD work....and having an unsettled baby makes it all the more harder! Ella was a pretty 'hard' baby. From 8 weeks on, she became really fussy & unsettled. So, in some ways, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from & how tiring it can be!
    BUT....like everything, each phase passes, time moves on & things change!
    Sophie is BEAUTIFUL!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. that precious smile makes it all worthwhile hey. happy days to you Amanda. Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!