Friday, June 15, 2012
A Letter To My Big Girl At Three + An Interview
Each year, I write a letter to my girls on their birthday, describing how they’ve grown and changed over the past twelve months. One of the best things about having a blog is being able to record memories and it’s so special to now have posts like this one and this one to look back on. As I took a little break from blogging the week of Grace’s third birthday, I didn’t get a chance to share this so here it is one month late…
To my darling Grace,
Three years ago, Daddy and I were truly blessed when you joined the world and became a part of our family. Having dreamt of you for so long, you were such a precious gift to us both. Three years on and you continue to fill our world with love, laughter and cheekiness every day.
Looking back at photos, it’s amazing to see how you have changed over the past twelve months. Most noticeable is that you’ve got lots of hair – it’s still quite fine but pretty curls now surround your sweet face and we can even tie your hair into pigtails. You’ve grown a lot in height, definitely taking after Daddy with your long legs.
You are even more of a chatterbox now than you were a year ago. The other morning, as Daddy left for work amongst your nattering, he remarked that you’d already said more in the time you’d been awake than he’d probably say all day! You are forever coming out with lines that show your sense of humour, your compassion and your caring nature. Last night, when I asked how much you loved Mummy, you replied with ‘I love you all the way to Nan’s house’.
As you are getting older, you’re becoming more content to play independently and will spend long lengths of time in your ‘big girls room’, scattering toys everywhere in the process. You still adore your stuffed animals, in particular Baa Baa and each night, you tuck them all in safely beside you in bed. Movies like ‘Finding Nemo’ and ‘Toy Story’ are still firm favourites but your new obsession is ‘Mary Poppins’. You love the songs, her ‘beautiful dress’ and the chimney sweeps whose fancy footwork you try to copy. In recent months, you’ve gone through a stage of having a ‘dressing up’ obsession. We’ve often found you in bed in all sorts of outfits, usually the fairy dress (complete with crown and wand), but at others times bathers, a party dress or your ‘pretty gold shoes’ have made their way under your blankets in the middle of the night. You often tell me your name is “not Grace, FAIRY Grace”’ and the other night as I was dishing up your tea you asked, “Can the Princess have her tea?”
During the past year, you’ve become a doting big sister to Sophie. You enjoy helping look after her and share in our excitement as she learns new things. It is so heart warming to watch you delight in each other’s company. The other night you asked if Sophie could sleep in your room one night. When Daddy asked what you’d do if she woke during the night you replied with, “I’ve got boobies so I can feed her milk.”
My darling possum, I am so proud of the sweet natured little girl you have grown into. Your kindness, lovely manners, compassion and sense of humour are all traits I hope you carry on into the coming years. You teach me so much every day and I am forever grateful that you are mine.
All the love in the world,
Now that Grace is that bit older, I’ve decided to also do a little interview with her each year on her birthday. Here are her exact responses to the series of questions I will ask her each year …
1. What is your favourite colour? Pink
2. What is your favourite toy? My favourite toy’s Baa Baa
3. What is your favourite fruit? I like pineapple
4. What is your favourite TV show? I like Peppa Pig
5. What is your favourite thing to eat for lunch? I like egg, pineapple and fruit. That’s what I like.
6. What is your favourite outfit? I like the party dress
7. What is your favourite game? I like to play puzzles and I like to go outside
8. What is your favourite snack? Berry balls I think. I like Berry Balls.
9. What is your favourite animal? I like cats
10. What is your favourite song? I like (the) Hokey Pokey one
11. What is your favourite book? I think the Cinderella book
12. Who is your best friend? Asha
13. What is your favourite cereal? Coco Pops
14. What is your favourite thing to do outside? Ride my bike and pick flowers and play with Asha
15. What is your favourite drink? I like orange juice to drink
16. What is your favourite holiday? I like going to Denmark
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Doofa, Terry, Baa Baa, Sheppie and Hootie and Baby Doggy
18. What is your favourite thing to eat for breakfast? Cocopops I think. I think I like them all day.
19. What is your favourite thing Mummy makes you for tea? Salad
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? I think I might be a fairy