Monday, September 10, 2012

Babies Growing


With looming first birthdays and talk of Grace going to kindy next year, things have really been hitting home lately that my babies are growing up...



Grace all of a sudden seems so much older.  As I watch her tearing about in the backyard with those long legs of hers, I often forget she's only three.  She is desperate to do everything independently - from getting dressed, to drying herself after a bath to opening doors and checking the letterbox.  I can't tell you how many times a day I hear the words, "I can do it by myself Mummy".   



Sophie... well she's desperate to copy anything and everything her big sister does.  She pulls herself up to standing at every opportunity.  You can see where I discovered her playing over the weekend in the photo above... at Grace's toy kitchen.  Over the space of just a week, she's started walking along the furniture and even been brave enough to let go a few times.  She is eager to walk (and I must admit, I'm eager for her to walk too as she is getting mighty heavy for my slight frame and I think I'm developing tendonitis in my elbow as a result of all the lifting).

It was two weeks ago however, after returning home from our holiday down south that I really felt as though my baby was gradually becoming less of a baby.  It was in Denmark that she dropped the two o'clock in the morning feed she's had every night since she was born.  And while I'd been hanging out for her to 'sleep through the night' for SO long and while I'm feeling SO much better finally getting a decent night's slumber after ten months, this milestone really is proof of my baby moving closer towards toddlerhood.  Facing that fact makes me a tad sad.



As for the feathered 'baby' we have been keeping a close eye on, she's growing bigger and bigger each day too.  It is so precious being able to watch her and the mother bird from our kitchen ever since we witnessed her hatching from her egg last week.  Even now as I sit here typing on the lounge, I can see the nest clearly with the little baby's head peering out over the top of the foliage. The photo above is of 'feeding time' (which from what I've observed is done 'beak to beak').   If you look closely, you can see the thin, fragile bones on the baby's wing which aren't yet fully feathered. Truly amazing stuff.  

Fortunately, my 'babies' are a LONG way off 'leaving the nest' and so while all this growing up saddens me slightly, I'm grateful and ever so excited about the many fun years we have ahead of us to look forward to spending with our girls... I am thankful every day for being blessed enough to be their Mama...
 

23 comments:

  1. We often take growing up for granted but it really is something to be grateful for, isn't it, to be able to enjoy babies of all kinds growing up. Your girls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's such a beautifully written post. We are lucky as mums aren't we to be blessed with our little munchkins! Starting school is bittersweet isn't it. It's exciting moving onto the next stage but also a bit sad that they are no longer full time with us! And you are sooo lucky to have that nest with the birds I find stuff like that so amazing. Cassie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace is definitely ready for four year old kindy next year, but I'll still feel a little sad on that first day of school, I'm certain :(

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post Amanda. I remember how I felt when Kian moved away from babyhood into toddlerhood and I was very sad too, particularly as I don't think we'll have any more children. Having said that, getting a decent night's sleep felt so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't they grow to quick! Both gorgeous girls x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel Amanda. It's such a bitter-sweet emotion - excited for growth & change & the joy that each stage brings.....but also scary & sad to see the baby years shimmy away.
    At times {a fair bit lately} when I yearn for Ryder to be that little bit older....so he's that little bit easier or able to communicate etc, I have to pinch myself and remind myself that time is fleeting quickly so to absorb & savour it all....even the sleepless nights and fussy teething days.
    I love sharing this journey with you Amanda.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've summed things up perfectly Claire! I know you know exactly how I feel :)

      Delete
  6. Oh your two are just adorable Amanda!
    Our babies do grow up way faster than we would like don't they? I am all too aware of the fact that Kaizer will be five in two years and with that thought in mind I am starting to ponder what path I will take.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Amanda, Grace and Sophie are so adorable! There's no stopping that clock marching is there. The boys turned three yesterday. Three! Your girls are very lucky to have you as their mama. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, three already!! Thanks for your sweet comment, you're too kind x

      Delete
  8. What a sweet post. Your daughters are lovely, as are you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post! Your daughters are beautiful, and I feel like I've watched Grace grow up since I've been following your blog a while. Love the photo of the beautiful bird and her baby too!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have the most beautiful little girls and no matter how old they are they'll always be your girls x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh she's a doll, yes, their independence is something you really have to give over to, first born girls are there to challenge you & struggle to be the daughter & not the boss (wait for it) but it can be a beautiful thing, i assure you, i'm loving my first born, now a teenager & glorious child. I just knew my place in her life, early on, just how it worked. She will shine at preschool, my first daughter did 3 years (being a July baby) & soared. Then she skipped a year of primary, too smart for everyone, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful girls Amanda. They must make you so happy :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos - you have two very cute kids!
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amanda....it's lovely to watch our children grow and become independent on their own feet and this is when their personalities really start to emerge....I remember my daughter who's now 17 was always so independent and did everything early was a force to be reckoned with as a toddler and she still is but it's held her in good steed as my grandmother would say. Thank you for you comment last week...I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner only for some strange reason it ended up in my junk email folder not on my blog so I didn't realise it was there at first. Take care Amanda and enjoy your girls because time really does fly....my guys are now 21, 19 and 17...and I can't beging to tell you how fast that time has gone.....xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your girls are beautiful Amanda. I feel a bit the same about my boys starting Kindy next year but I can vouch for the fact that it is such a great stage of life - you will love seeing them grow and thrive with their new independence and I also made some of my loveliest friendships with other Mums once the kids started school.
    Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully expressed Amanda. I too feel super blessed to have my little girls. I love the baby stage...but it's also sweet to watch them slowly become more independent. I love these photos of your girls. They look so happy and content...you're doing a wonderful job as their mummy :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gorgeous post, Amanda. I can't believe how quickly the girls are growing up here on your blog, especially Sophie! My goodness, I hope you've done the hands and knees safety check ☺. There'll be no stopping her now. And I completely get what you say about the heavy lifting - that's how I developed my carpal tunnel syndrome! J x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a beautiful post Amanda. Children grow so very fast I can hardly believe that my two were once as little as your sweet girls. Enjoy your beautiful girls, every stage is wonderful although some a little more challenging than other. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving this just as much the second time around, Amanda ☺. Thanks so much for linking up with the POTMC. J x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!