Friday, September 14, 2012

Our Week...


Our week has been a great one.  We haven't done anything overly exciting or had any special celebrations or occasions that usually occur in a such a week, but we've had a lovely balance of wonderful things - pottering around our home tackling our 'spring cleaning baby steps', visits to a few friends for coffee and playdates and lots of time spent outdoors enjoying the glorious sunshine...



...we've picked spring blossoms that are starting to pop up all over our garden.  The above shot is of Grace's arrangement - I showed her how to balance the different coloured flowers around the jar and encouraged her to add some greenery to her posy...



...we went to Spotlight and came away with some goodies for Sophie's upcoming party - pretty blue and white fabrics and ribbon.  I had intended on buying a piece of gingham to use as a table runner and then stumbled upon some check tablecloths (all sizes on sale for fifteen dollars) and since we need a new tablecloth for outdoor entertaining anyway, I picked one up...



...I made a small purchase in an effort to add more colour to my wardrobe.  As I looked through my clothes the other day, I realised that I own only five or so items that are not black, white or grey.  It left me wondering when I stopped wearing colour.  I used to wear lots of blue and aqua and pretty prints.  What happened?  When did my style morph into solely neutral territory?  When I saw the top above at Target as I was walking past (on sale for only twenty dollars), I scooped it up in an attempt to begin 'operation bring back the colour' ...



...I've been doing lots of de-cluttering and tidying this week, all in small spurts, but all progress nonetheless. I've given baby clothing away to friends, have donated several bags of items to charity and am about to list some bits and pieces on Gumtree over the weekend (and I haven't even gone through any of our wardrobes yet!!)  This spring cleaning business is SO good for the soul and extremely liberating!  I've also made a big dent in tackling the worst room in our house - the study. We have big plans for this room but I'll share those in another post next week. This room is still in way too an embarassing state to show you any photos though, so here is part of my nice neat laundry cupboard instead...


How has your week been?  What plans do you have for the upcoming weekend?

19 comments:

  1. Loving those sweet blues today! It is totally a mystery to me why we get so much joy out of a good cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace's arrangement is so much better than anything I could possibly dream of putting together. It screams innocence and imagination - I love that about children's creations. I have also noticed that my wardrobe is made up mostly of black and have made a decision to bring back more colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Grace's arrangement, it's very pretty. And you're spring cleaning baby steps is inspiring me. My house is out of control at the moment so the plan for this weekend is to clean out and organised the fridge and pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spring cleaning and decluttering! It is astonishingly satisfying!!! Very impressed with Grace's flower arranging, she has done a gorgeous job! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a good cull! We're having a flea market this weekend with all the things we've cleaned out. Such fun! Hope you have a wonderful weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're on fire Amanda. You go girl. Very inspiring!!!
    I got nothing done this week....except I did finish Ryder's b'day invites :) And finally hung some prints in our main bedroom which have been framed & sitting there on the carpet for 6 months!!!!!
    I love the colourful top! Spring is the perfect time to bring some colour back in to your life :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't little girls love picking flowers? But then big girls do too. :)
    Loving your stripes Amanda. It's nice to get some colour happening in one's wardrobe, especially with summer coming.
    I can't say I enjoy cleaning, though do get satisfaction afterwards when things look better.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, I have had the same thoughts about my wardrobe and have been making a concious effort to inject a bit more colour in my daily life. So far it has had great results. I feel happier and have some positive comments so keep it up. You are inspiring me for a declutter over the school holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the bring back colour campaign! I probably need to do that too! Well done on all that spring cleaning...i keep meaning to list so much on Gumtree and it just never happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to hear more about Sophie's birthday. They are so much fun to plan x
    (your laundry pic is inspiring me...but baby steps for me too!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy spring cleaning :) I love clearing things out and getting organised. It always helps to clear my head!

    This spring weather has been magic hasn't it? I hope you have a lovely week Amanda. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi love your blog. Don't know if I have ever posted before, we are from Denmark, our first two boys were born there. We still have a block there in Harrington Break. We may be building on it next year & moving back down there. Which would be amaziing, just waiting for the planets to align. Ha. Anyway your post with the animals reminds me of how much my babies loved the The Alpaca farm when they were little. Sigh.
    Hopefully I will be posting from Down there soon enough, Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hearing the positivity in your voice, Amanda. Good on you. Grace's posy is adorable - she has a wonderful eye! And I want one of those tablecloths - I'm heading to Spotlight tomorrow ☺. Oh and Howard's Storage World now your laundry cupboard has reminded me! J x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Grace's little posy. And I'm a little jealous of your organised laundry. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the blue fabrics you've chosen for Sophie's birthday party, very sweet and a lovely shade of blue. You know I am exactly the same with my colour choices in my wardrobe, very neutral colours where as my girls are so colourful. I do like your choice of shirt, a mix of colour and then the black, I think I could handle that:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like everything in my wardrobe is black. The fashion is bright at the moment so I will have to get some new items to liven things up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WoW! I wish my laundry cupboard was that neat ;o)
    I like the sound of your week. Most people are too busy being busy.
    Have a lovely evening,
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The laundry cupboard looks great Amanda! Hope the girls get better soon and you get back in the swing of your Spring cleaning :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!