Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Our Simply Styled Ensuite



I was chatting recently to a friend about how the one thing that bothers me with our house is how 'unfinished' it is... how after eight years, walls waiting for artwork to be hung on them, shelves and sideboards in need of styling and chairs begging for new vibrant cushions all frustrate me.  All those little bits and bobs that make a house a home really.  And while we've come a long way with renovations and furniture, it's these little touches that I'm eager to add to our place, the pieces that tell a story... our story.

I do realise that decorating a home with such authenticity and with meaningful pieces doesn't happen overnight, as it's all of a family's experiences, travels and memories over time that will add character to any dwelling.  I also realise that the process of decorating a home is an ongoing one with tastes and needs constantly changing.  So, taking my friend's advice, I've decided not to focus on all that is yet to be completed, but to instead be happy with all that HAS been achieved, all the rooms that look 'lived in' and all the parts of our home that make me smile.

Aside from needing new curtains, our lounge room is fairly cosy, Grace's room is definitely well decorated and Sophie's nursery is finished (although about to gradually go through a transformation into more of a toddler room).  I can also say I'm happy with our ensuite...



Being such a small space (so small that taking any decent photographs to share with you all was near on impossible), my plan was to keep things fairly simple and uncluttered and neutral coloured.  I made a soft, billowy curtain out of some sheer material to hide the ugly security screen, changed our towels from blue to ones in a latte shade and have kept the top of our vanity as clear as possible.  As for artwork, I initially intended to go with a larger piece in black and white, until I came across an old painting packed away in a box which we'd bought from The Rocks Markets on one visit to Sydney.  It's a small piece, but somehow, it's enough size-wise and its pop of green adds just enough colour to the room.  I also keep a vase of greenery filled with lilly-pilly branches from our garden.



Do you have parts of your home that are still 'unfinished'?  Or do you have one of those 'lived in homes' that I'm desperate to achieve?

13 comments:

  1. Your ensuite looks elegant Amanda. I really love your neutral colours and your pretty artwork too:) I have to confess I haven't decorated our home much. We have lots of artwork (cross stitches) and framed pictures on the wall but I haven't really made it 'us'. I see lots of lovely rooms but I'm not that good at putting things together so I haven't but it is on my list of things to do this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every corner of our place is unfinished after moving back last year, paintings are still waiting to be hung and the odd box needs to be unpacked. I find it frustrating but I love your philosophy - embrace what is 'lived-in". I also love a crisp white bathroom with splashes of green, yours is gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a clean, white, simple bathroom - ticks all round from me!
    We have lived-in down pat but I'm not sure its all intentional - or stylish!!
    I bought a beautiful etching last wekend - can't wait to bring it home and work out where it goes
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your etching, I bet it's lovely!

      Delete
  4. Lovely room Amanda - it looks very serene, which is so important. A spot - however small - for you. Our home is unfinished everywhere. Actually, there isn't a single square metre that is uncluttered, perfect, free from children's chaos, and mine alone! But, I am getting there. There is always a long list of 'to dos', but as you say, homes come alive with memories, treasures and collections that result from living life together. I doubt there's ever a day a home is 'finished'. I've decided to embrace that idea, and I am decluttering with a vengeance so that I can see the wood for the trees :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Do you have parts of your home that are still 'unfinished'?"

    i read this and laughed...HAHA! yes, pretty much ALL of it! as you know we moved last year into a nice big family home in a suburb we really wanted to be in...and because of this had to pay a nice price tag for it. with me not working...we could only afford the house that was big but not finished to a standard we would like. technically it's functional, but that's about it.

    the one room we have *almost* finished (and i say almost because we have put in an airconditioner but have to now remove the ugly ceiling fan) is our bedroom -- one room of sanctuary in our entire home...but one that i am pleased with. i should take a couple of photos.

    but i know exactly what you mean about wanting to finish things off -- but in our last home it took over six years (with no kids!) to finally have the house the way we wanted it (inside and out) and then we moved!

    your ensuite looks fresh and clean and lovely...i love white in bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see some photos of your bedroom. Ours is one of the rooms bothering me :) we actually have dark grey floor tiles in our ensuite so it's not entirely white, but still neutral x

      Delete
  6. We were in our last house for two years and not a single photo on the walls... it was a crazy time of transition and we never really settled in there... but here is different, it feels like home already and we're about to hang artworks and photos, and my girls already have their artworks taking up an entire wall... so yes unfinished and a work in progress it is for us :) I love the lillies artwork x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean Amanda...some rooms in the house here definitely feel lived in and homey but one thing in particular, no make that two things keep frustrating me. First of all we're not allowed to paint and I'm dying to paint and get rid of this horrible 'cottage cream' colour and secondly we're not meant to hang anything on the walls!! I think I'll be breaking this rule very soon though....things take time like you said and with little ones I find some things have to wait a while until they're old enough to be around them.....your ensuite looks great and I know what you mean about small....our bathroom is tiny and it's the only room in the house with a mirror so I'm constantly standing on a stool to see if my clothes are straight and fit well....I miss a full length mirror. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. As time goes on we all collect the things we love around us..don't be too eager to clutter up your space! I am constantly decluttering as there always seems to be too much stuff around for my tastes..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My whole home is unfinished! I look at yours and think it is so lovely and organised and you style things so effortlessly. Like your lovely little vase of greenery in the bathroom. I am too slack for those sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful ensuite Amanda. Our's is a lived in looking house because there are SO many people in it! When you are a SAHM you tend to notice things more because everything is so in-your-face all the time, it is nice to have a home build over time though. Ps.love that surprise pic of Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know how I feel about my home! ;-) But Amanda, every time I see photos of your home, even if they are just little glimpses beyond your gorgeous portraits of Sophie and Grace, I think how lovely it looks. (Particularly in love with your ensuite and your floors and white skirtings! I would love to have them in my house). You are a perfectionist with high standards, so I know how you yearn to have that completed home, but I don't even know if interior designers ever feel like their house is "done"! I think your home looks lovely xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!