Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Family Holiday


Today I had the unenjoyable task of unpacking and doing load after load of washing as we've just arrived home after a three day getaway down south to our favourite country town, Denmark. We wanted to have a little holiday with just the three of us before our baby arrives and it was wonderful spending a relaxing few days together away from the day to day routine. Grace did much better than we anticipated being away from home, although she was definitely a bit anxious about Asha not being with us. She was perfect on the ride down and after our lunch break at Williams, she slept for most of the remainder of the journey. Similarly on the return trip, her napping coincided with our longest stretch of driving. She was fine being in an unfamiliar bed and enjoyed all the new sights and experiences.

Whilst in Denmark, we drove around the Scotsdale Tourist Loop admiring the lovely views and stopped briefly at the Rickety Gate Winery where Paul tasted and bought some wine. Our highlight of the trip was definitely the few hours we spent exploring the Alpaca Stud and Animal Farm. Grace was in her element here and adored feeding all the animals. She was fearless, not hesitant at all to wander in the alpaca enclosure or to hand feed the camel. She was more than content wandering in the rabbit and guinea pig cage by herself, picking all of the animals up and giggling as they jumped around her feet. Her favourite animals by far were the two baby goats. "I'll look after you," she said as she cuddled the pair. When we had to leave, I told her to say goodbye to them and she burst into tears crying, "take baby goats home."





One of my favourite things we did was stopping for lunch in Bridgetown on our drive home at a cute little cottage I've always been entrigued by when we'd previously passed through. It was called Horti Towers and really was a unique little place. We arrived as it began to bucket down with rain and sat down at the only indoor spot, a table for three beside the pot belly stove. Inside, every wall was covered in brick-a-brack, every shelf and display cabinet packed full of trinkets and treasures. I managed to come away with a cute little antique dish. I also loved how our lunch was served on mismatched crockery, a bit like a Mad Hatters tea party and the soup I ordered was one of the nicest bowls of soup I've ever tasted.

So now, we're home sweet home and Paul has the rest of the week off work which is nice. I have our next Cooking Club to plan for and am hoping to buy a few last fabrics so I can finally sew Grace's quilt.

I hope you are all having an enjoyable week and I hope to catch up on all your blog posts I've missed over the next few days...

12 comments:

  1. your holiday break sounds wonderful..i love taking small trips and just relaxing enjoying the family time:) good luck Gracie's quilt.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had fun!!!!Is that Grace in the pics?she is so cute...awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds like you all had a great time. I think I'd have wanted to take the baby goat home too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad you had a nice break away and Gracie coped with the unfamiliar surrounds like a little duck to water and how cute is she with the baby animals and saying 'take the goats home' it's so sweet! There is a baby animal farm that I used to go to as a kid and you've made me think that maybe we should take Will there on the weekend as our plans to go away have been postponed. I'm so glad you had a great break and enjoy the rest of the week with Paul off with you both. Big hugs,
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely trip down south just look how happily lil Grace is with those animals. Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Denmark! Glad you managed to get away together before the bub comes. Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Grace is so sweet telling the baby goats she'll look after them! How darling! Enjoy your week,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love little breaks like this. So lovely to see the little ones experience new things too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that shot of Grace with the bunnies and guinea pigs, I'd love to be standing there myself, so cute! It sounds like you had such a lovely time Amanda and it must have been nice to have a trip away with the three of you. Hope you've had a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that the three of you were able to have a chance to relax together, it looks like a really beautiful spot to stay. Grace looks so cute there with the baby goats, she looks like she just adores them. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!