Friday, July 15, 2011

Preloved Treasure Search


I wish I was one of those people who have the knack of coming across those ‘wow’ pieces in Op Shops or Ebay. As you all know, after my issues with Grace’s bed, she now has an ensemble one I'm happy with. However, I am still hunting for a bed head like the one above. Unfortunately this perfect piece was in NSW. There was a similar ideal one on Perth’s Gumtree a few weeks back but sadly I missed out on it. Even if I find a whole bed frame, I’d be happy to just use the headboard and ditch the other pieces. I’m trying to be patient, telling myself that what I’m after will show up ‘one day’.



Another piece I wish I’d been able to get my hands on was this round coffee table I spotted on Etsy. Being in the US, shipping to Australia wasn’t really an option unfortunately which is a shame as I absolutely love this piece and its design. I can picture it fitting in perfectly in our living area where we recently sold our previous heavy looking one. Once again, I’m hoping that ‘one day’ I’ll stumble across a similar one around here.



In the meantime, as a I was browsing for various pieces, I came across the cane chair above in Fremantle which I’m hoping to take a look at tomorrow. Paul doesn’t quite see its potential. ‘Who’s going to want to sit in that old chair?’ was his comment when I excitedly showed him my discovery last night. Once I explained to him that the photo didn’t show the cushions which also went with the chair (which I would recover) he warmed up a bit more to my idea. I’m thinking this chair would be good for a ‘feature armchair’ for our front lounge which is slowly starting to come along.

I’d love to know your opinion – with a makeover, does this chair have potential or am I wasting my time looking at it tomorrow?

14 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda
    I certainly see potential with the cane chair. Depending on our colour scheme you leave it as it is, paint it white, or navy blue, or even a gorgeous rich mid-green. go for it. I'm sure Paul will come to love it when you work your magic. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that bedhead and fingers crossed that one turns up for you soon. I think the chair definitely has potential. I can see it painted white, or a nice bright colour with a cushion made from a beautiful fabric. How nice would that be!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the chair has big potential. You could paint it or leave it but I like the look of cane. Let us know how you go with it!!! And good luck on the ebay finds (the coolest things are always in other states aren't they - Murphy's law i think).
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I would paint it white or yellow with maybe a stripey cushion fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many wonderful pieces of furniture in America aren't there!! I always find things I love on ebay and etsy and then poop, they are overseas. Good luck on that perfect piece turning up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am longing for that chair Amanda. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda, What great finds! The chair definitely has potential (for some ideas check out Verandah House/Judy Elliott Interiors or her daughter's online store - they feature a range of cane chairs painted in high gloss paint with cushion inserts - http://www.jessielauren.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=205). Good luck in search of the perfect headboard for Grace's bed. Can't wait to see how the chair turns out. Teresa xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spray Painted with a nice bright cushion will look amazing. Let us know what you decide. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spray painted white with a new cushion it could look okay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda,a matching bedhead will surely come your way! If you want to try looking for a new one, I bought mine ( exactly like this) from Forty Winks in Vic. Perhaps Forty Winks in Perth can get you in one? I think before I may have said I got mine from Bed Shed, but I was wrong, I'm so sorry. It was actually Forty Winks, having come across the receipt the other day when we were moving our office....
    Best of luck with the search,
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've a great eye, Amanda - yes def has potential and ditto Madeline's comment x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so hard to find cast iron bed frames... keep searching! The chair's great, would love to see your end result. gxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, she has potential for sure! Give her a little paint love and she'll be divine! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love that bedhead Amanda, I hope that you find one just like that. It would look beautiful with her patchwork quilt you're working on. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!