Wednesday, May 11, 2011

New Things Around Our Home


We haven't really done a lot of renovating or decorating around our place recently. Between me not feeling as energetic as usual and most of our focus being on our outdoor project, my decorating enthusiam disappeared for a bit. However, in the last few weeks, I've been getting excited about homely projects again as we plan on making changes to Grace's room, have talked about perhaps renovating our main bathroom and as I begin picturing in my head how our new nursery will look.

So today I'm sharing with you a few smallish additions to our home I've made over the last week. In the top photo is the new front doormat I bought on the weekend. As we walked out of the house on Monday Grace remarked 'nice doormat'. Apparantly it's very hardwearing and can be 'hosed off' if it gets grubby.




Today I added the second little frame above to my laundry which is an Irish blessing I found on a Tumblr page. I still don't know if this the right spot for it but for now it fills in the space a bit. As for the ugly security screen, I'm hoping to sew a simple curtain to cover this window soon and hopefully my little pot plant will eventually grow bigger to hide the power point a bit more.

The bottom artwork in a simple Ikea frame I especially love. It is a sketch of a scene in Holland by my Pop who was a draughtsman by profession. I never met my Pop but I had a few of his sketches in my family tree file and thought it might be nice to frame one. I know my Dad would have loved to have seen this up on our wall.

How about you? Have you made and little additions to your home lately?

15 comments:

  1. Wow, your home looks very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece from your Pop! I love family art passed down the generations. You are so lucky to have such a treasure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Pop's artwork is stunning Amanda. Such personal heirlooms are those one of a kind things that make your home special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, your pop was brilliant at drawing! How fantastic for you to have that. Your new mat looks great too, how funny was Grace's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great additions, especially love the sketch. I haven't bought anything new but have just hung some pictures for which I hadn't found the right spot... until now. gxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amanda, love your prints and new additions, it will be so much fun for you decorating a nursery! You must be looking forward to that!
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a shame you never got to meet your Pop, I bet he had a story or two to tell. What beautiful memories you have in his artwork though. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure to find from your Pop, Amanda - a touchstone, don't you think? It looks stunning. J x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It always feels nice to do little things around the house, it makes it feel fresh and new again. I really love the drawing by your Pop, it's lovely to be able to have a connection with him. Have a wonderful Thursday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the little touches that make a house a home. They make all the difference. Where may I ask did you find that door mat. I have been hunting for one for inside my front door?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb - There's a chain of rug stores here in Perth called The Rug Station. I got our rug from there, if you zoom in, you can see ours has a striped/spotty type of pattern. The lady who served me said she's had hers as a doormat for 8 years. The one we got was the smallest size.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet. I love the sketch by your Pop. That's what makes a home personal and unique! Lovely.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh i love the idea that you have some of your grandfather's sketches, how precious, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I like the doormat. We haven't done anything to the house lately. I have lots of plans still but things keep getting in the way.

    My next project is to make a little reading/craft nook for the boys. Just have to convince the Mr that it needs doing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda, you have such a beautiful, warm and inviting home. I love all your recent additions, they've inspired me to fill the frames I recently bought from Country Road and add some colour to our lounge room. I hope you are feeling well xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!