Thursday, January 30, 2014

The End Of Our Carefree Days



The past few nights in bed, I've felt desperately sad thinking about Grace starting full-time school in just under a week. There have been knots in my stomach and tears pricking my eyes knowing that our 'do as we please weekdays' are coming to an end and that a new kind of 'normal' is ahead of us in the not so distant future. Washing fresh uniforms, labelling books and stationery and reading through 'new student information packages' has made this reality hit home even more.

No longer will we have the luxury of a few days a week free of schedules and routines.  Our week will soon be filled with school bells, busy days and homework.  There will be lunchboxes to pack, reading books to work our way through and I am sure, one tired girl come Friday afternoons.

Of course, I have kept my feelings to myself.  Any talk of pre-school involving Grace has been filled with positivity as I don't want my emotions to interfere with her own expectations of what should be an exciting part of childhood.  Today I overheard her telling our neighbour, "I don't want to wait until after the weekend to start pre-primary, I want to go tomorrow!"

I've decided to instead focus my thoughts on how to best deal with this change. Rather than dwelling on how much I will miss my precious girl and grieving for our old weekly rhythm, I'm thinking of ways to better accept this inevitable next step and how to make our transition as smooth as possible. Things like slow afternoons enjoying an afternoon snack together, chatting about each of our days and sitting down to an earlier than usual dinner. Pre-bedtimes curled up together reading a chapter of our latest book. Weekends balanced between pottering about enjoying homely pleasures and small outings to parks and cafes and other favourite spots.

In time, I'm sure we'll settle into our new pattern... all that I can do for now is to trust that gradually, we will both adjust and come to love our days as much as we always have done...



12 comments:

  1. Oh I feel the same way already and we still have a year! I feel like I need to cram so much into this year before time is lost with my eldest then off to school. I wish you all the best for the change and hope you both learn to love this new stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so lucky to have a mumma who feels this so strongly, Amanda. Ironically, it's the ones we hold so close who fly best when they leave the nest. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Amanda. I really do find the 'letting go' the hardest part of parenting! Grace will thrive in school and before you know it - you'll all be in a routine. But I know EXACTLY how you feel! I still have days where I ponder the idea of homeschooling coz I miss my kids and the notion of carefree days so much :)))) But then I think of the bigger picture and know that everything is just as it should be. ::)) Much love to you my dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find some lovely new routines for time together in between the busy-ness of school full time. I hope Grace enjoys her new school too and that you all feel more comfortable with her there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've often been in my thoughts along with gorgeous Grace as she prepares to embark on the new journey that awaits her. I adore the special bond you two share. Part of me is sad the time for full time school has now arrived. I'm comforted by thoughts of Grace enjoying a new environment, soaking up knowledge, revelling in exciting experiences and creating new friendships - some that may last a lifetime. Best wishes to you both for a smooth transition adjusting to this new chapter xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Amanda!! Hoping it all goes smoothly and you settle into a new lovely routine - different can also be lovely and it is so good that you are looking at the positives of the new situation and how you can adapt to it. And the little lifestyle changes you talked about sound beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Amanda - that exactly how I felt 12 months ago! I was definitely grieving the loss of our carefree days and easy routine - it was like a smack in the face to have FIVE WHOLE DAYS of our week taken up with clock watching and serious routine. It took me the whole of the first term to accept it. But like you, I never once showed my sadness to my girl. She has loved school from the very first day and like with everything in life, I knew time would make it all okay. It was okay to feel that way - we were farewelling five years together at home which was all we knew, and a new - and necessary - routine was waiting for us. It's so much harder for us mums I think! I seem to tell myself quite often these days.. this too shall pass x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will adjust and you will be surprised to realise the happiness you will feel when your child makes new friends and is just so happy to tell you all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a looping video on the computer screens at Officeworks yesterday showing parents how to cover books in contact. I nearly had a heart attack even though my Dear Boy won't be in school for a few years yet. I'm sure it will all go well and the new normal will show itself pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Amanda, you were me last year when my youngest went to school. I grieved the end of what I had come to love, time with him alone. But change brings new adventures and new routines that you will in time learn to love as much, if not more and I found I cherish the time I do get with them that little bit more. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is it going so far?
    Jack is loving full-time school - a little cranky and tired but really enjoying it
    It's me feeling a little lost as I do things alone that we used to do together - and miss him so
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice to know I am not alone, and that there are other moms out there feeling the same way. My daughter will start half-day kindergarten this fall. It will just be an adjustment, but I know we will both adjust.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!